WARNING: PICTURE OVERLOAD!
![]() |
| This is 5:40am!! This in itself is a miracle for me!! |
After we watched the opening ceremony, we walked inside the stadium to find the restrooms before I went to line up. I'm glad we did because we got a few good pictures of the finish line and the stadium.
Finally, I went to line up and Jason went into the stadium to watch. I was ready to be running. We had to wait for another 20 min. Finally, it was almost time to start. They moved us up to the start line, just as the first runner {who had started 45 minutes before} was coming towards the finish line. He finished in 49:45. Holy Fast!
We started running at 7:45am. It was a beautiful day. It was in the 50s and completely perfect!
I started out nice and easy {I thought} and ran the first 3 miles without stopping, then I realized that the pace team that I had been trying to stay with was doing a run/walk and they would walk every 5 minutes. I decided I was going to try to stay with them as long as I possibly could. I ran/walked with them until 8.25 miles.
The scenery was beautiful. We ran right along the lake front and the second 5 miles we were running towards the city skyline. It was breathtaking. I loved it!!
But, about mile 8, I started to die. I had to get some energy blocks and some water so I slowed down and walked for a minute to eat them and get going again. Once I started running again, I couldn't catch up. I tried really hard, but I could tell that I was losing stamina and that I wasn't going to have anything left to finish. I could still see them ahead of me, but I didn't have the strength left to catch up. {I shouldn't have run a 10 minute mile the first one}. SO, I just started running and kept telling myself, do not stop running. Do not stop running. Just keep going. You are strong, you've trained for this. You can do this. Just keep running and don’t stop. Coming up on the 9 mile marker, I really wanted to quit. I was EXHAUSTED!! I had to dig deep. I had to find the inner strength to keep going. I told myself that I was so close, that I didn't need to stop, that I was going to do this.
Finally, we ran past the start line and into the service side of the stadium, as we came around the corner to run out of the tunnel, I started to get so emotional. I had done it. I was going to run through the tunnel and out onto Soldier Field to finish a 10 mile run and I was still running. I could barely hold it together. Now, I was telling myself, do not trip and fall, do not fall over the finish line. I was so sore and tired, but I had done it. Running onto the field was incredible, one of the greatest moments of my life. The energy was electric. I ran across that finish line with all that I had left. I raised my hands in the air in celebration of all that I had accomplished. Running is not easy for me. Running is very, very hard. I fight my way through every single mile. I get sore and tired, I have bad runs and wonder why I even try. But in that moment, for that finish, I knew why I run. I run because it gives me power. I run because I am strong. I run because I am not a quitter and I have an inner strength that I never knew I had before. I run because I can!
I had no idea what my official time was, my phone said 2:02 and I was thrilled with that. Yes, there is a part of me that wishes I had finished just under 2 hours, and maybe if I had held back a little in the beginning I would have had more to give at the end, but I had done better than I ever dreamed possible. My goal was 2:10. {approx 12:30/minute mile}. That was the best I had ever done in training. I thought that might not even be possible. {my half marathon average was a 13:50/min mile}.
I could not believe it when I saw my official time was 2:01:03!! I had run 10 miles in 2 hours!! My average was 12:07/min mile. Better than I had EVER done!!!
I got my medal from the Navy Soldiers {which was so cool to have them there to present the medals}.
Jason was right up in the stands, taking pictures for me and yelled at me that a member of our Stake Presidency was by the finish line, so I went to find him and we waited for Faith, Mary and Jason to finish. {as Mary crossed the finish line, she said "that was the worst thing I've ever done, I want to die", haha...I felt the complete opposite, I thought it was AMAZING!!}
I had to walk all the way around the stadium to find Jason. We then had to walk all the way around the stadium, again to get to the parking lot. It was pretty mean of them to make you walk so much after you just ran 10 miles, but I guess it was probably good for my sore legs! It was an AMAZING experience! I can't wait to do it again so I can beat my time and get under 2 hours!!
Thanks for going with me and for waiting for me and being my biggest fan!! I love you!!





















No comments:
Post a Comment