We arrived at Children's Memorial about 6:10 {I wanted to make sure we had plenty of time because I've never been there}. It's weird that it's a highrise building right in the heart of the city.
We checked in and went right up to the procedure floor. There was very little paperwork to do because they called me a few days ago and did all the pre-op stuff over the phone. {because who wants to answer all those questions at 6:30am?}
Tanner changed and then got to play his i-pod for about an hour while I talked to the anesthesiologist and the Dr. He was a little nervous, but we kept telling him it would be no big deal.
This was his nurse, Brian, who was AMAZING!!!! He kept everything light and fun. He made Tanner feel like he was a grown up and he was very funny. I am SO glad we got such a great nurse.
They didn't do ANYTHING before they took him back to the OR. No needles, no tests, no IV. They wait until he is asleep to do everything so there is less pain and discomfort. LOVE THAT!! He was just chillin when they took him back for the procedure.
He was back in the room for a little over an hour. They had a hard time getting the probe in because his esophagus is pretty swollen. {possibly from the acid, but we will find out}. The Dr. took several biopsies and we will find out next week if they found anything of concern.
He has a PH probe in {the tube coming out of his nose} and we have to monitor everything he eats and drinks for the next 24 hours. This will tell us his acid levels at all times so we can try to determine what we can do to help him.
He work up pretty well {much better than mom would have} and was having a Popsicle by the time I got back there to see him. I was doing ok until they started showing me everything and explaining everything and then for some reason I was all of the sudden very light headed and queasy. I didn't like it one bit.{I'm sure being up since 4am didn't help.} I had to sit down and breath deep for a few minutes. {I didn't think passing out next to his bed would make him feel very confident in me}.
He recovered for about an hour and then they said he could go home. He was READY for sure. The worst part was taking off the tape and the IV. He HATED that part. {I don't blame him}
We stopped and got a milkshake on the way home. We were home before noon....and he is comfy and resting on the couch. He doesn't like the tube AT ALL but other than that he is just tired and a little "grouchy".
Thanks for all your prayers. We will let you know next week what we find out.
Wow. That's quite a procedure. He's in our prayers. I hope you get some answers.
ReplyDelete