I felt completely lost. I am the only one who doesn't live there and I just felt in a complete daze. I wanted to be in Utah with my family, but I knew I couldn't leave until the end of the week. I tried to focus on what needed to get done before then. I'm grateful that they all sat down and made a list of everything that needed to get done. They assigned me to write the obituary, make the program and get the slide show together. I didn't even know where to start, but I just took one day at a time. I started with contacting her family to get some information for the obituary. I prayed A LOT and asked her many times what she wanted me to write. I knew that I could do it, but I also knew that I needed heaven's help.
I was struggling to find a picture. all we could find were selfies and I wasn't sure that we should use a selfie for her obituary, but Ryan loved this picture and we decided that it fit her personality perfectly.
It turned out beautiful. She definitely helped me know what to say. Here is her obituary:
Jennifer Lynn Dillon McDonald, 33, passed from this mortal existence, Monday, May 29, 2017. Her sudden and unexpected death has left us all searching for answers. Jennifer was born February 29, 1984 in Danville Virginia to Peggy Jane Dillon and William Demott. She grew up in Danville and attended Forest Hills Elementary School. She was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ when she was 13 years old and has always had a strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
She grew up watching her father cook in his restaurant and loved to cook up a good southern meal anytime she could. She attended George Washington High School, but transferred to Morehead High School in Eden, North Carolina where she graduated in 2002. A few weeks after graduation, she boarded a train bound for Utah on a grand adventure to be with the Mormons. When Jen arrived in Provo, Utah she got a ride to her apartment and sat down and cried, “What have I done?” and then she got up and walked to the Dollar Store and got a job on the spot. She then walked down the street to Macey’s and applied for a job in the Deli and they hired her on the spot. She took the job at Macey’s and she loved working there. Jennifer was going to make things happen in her life, she never stood around and waited, she went after everything she wanted, including her future spouse. Jennifer met Ryan McDonald in April of 2004, at the gas station where he was working, and they were engaged 3 days later. They were sealed for time and all eternity in the Mount Timpanogos Temple on August 5, 2004.
Her work at Macey’s wasn’t challenging enough, so her early career took her next to being a sales rep for Advantage Sales and Marketing, working with the Pepsico Brands.. Jen became the number one salesperson in the country and was offered a higher position in Texas, but she turned them down because she didn’t want to make Ryan leave Utah, this eventually led her to being offered a supervisor job in the Oakland California area. They were always supportive of each other in their career goals and in October 2006, Ryan, Jen and Kylee moved to Sacramento where they made many lifelong friends. She would eventually quit Pepsico, and begin working with Unified Grocers. Soon she wanted to be able to work from home, and care for her growing family. Ryan Jr. (Buddy), Savannah (Savvy) and Nash joined their family during the time they lived in California. She began working in social media, which let her to Pizza Guys and Quick Quack in Sacramento, this involved a lot of promotional events with the Sacramento Kings and she loved all of the experiences she had while they lived in California.
Following the loss of her mother-in-law in Nov 2015, their family decided to move back to Utah to be closer to family. In April 2016, Jennifer’s mother also passed away and during that same time, their little family made their way back to Orem, Utah, which is where they now reside. Needing a job, she applied and was hired to be the PR manager for Quick Quack Car Wash and was very involved with the opening of new car washes here in Utah. Jen’s zest for life was profound in her employment and being a mother to her children.
Jennifer was the life of the party and made everyone in the room feel included and loved. She lived life to the fullest, having no regrets and marched to the beat of her own drum. She radiated joy with a bit of southern spunk, told hilarious stories, and could make friends with everyone. She was a profound influence in her community; she was one of the brightest and most accepting, yet curious lights. She was caring and one of the most generous people you would ever know. She was one of a kind, with a heart of gold. Jennifer was a wonderful mother, planning elaborate parties for every occasion. She loved fiercely and we have no idea how we are going to go on without her crazy, southern self in our lives.
She is survived by her husband, Ryan; children Kylee, Ryan Jr. (Buddy), Savannah (Savvy), and Nash. She is also survived by her siblings; Billy (Ellen) Demott, Ray (Paula) Demott, John Demott, Kitty (Rodger) Minter, Randy Demott, Lucille (Bob) Clarke, Barbara (Johnnie) Brown, Geraldine Dillon, Matthew Dillon, Steven (Lisa) Dillon, Shirley Roberts, Mary (Daryl) Groce. She also leaves behind many aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, brother and sister-in-laws, and friends. She was preceded in death by her father William Demott, her mother Peggy Dillon, and her sister Hazel Grogan.
Funeral Services will be held Saturday, June 3rd, at 11:00 am, at the Park 6th Ward, 195 West 300 South, Orem, Utah, where a Viewing will be held prior to services from 9:00 to 10:30 am. Interment in Mapleton Cemetery, 620 West Maple Street, Mapleton, Utah.
Funeral Directors: Utah Valley Mortuary.
Then I started working on the program. Luckily Dad and Ryan had worked out all the details and had asked all the people who he wanted to participate. I was stressing out on Wednesday night. It was almost midnight at my house, I was working on the program, but I had lost the first copy of the whole inside and had to start over. I was tired. I was emotionally drained. I was on the verge of losing it. I had just been talking to Ryan on the phone trying to work out some details and I didn't know how in the world I was ever going to get a slide show put together. Thursday morning I had a training to to go for work. Thursday night was Tanner's choir concert {part of the reason I had stayed home until this weekend} and I had an early morning flight on Friday morning. I wasn't sure how in the world I was ever going to get the slide show put together. I hadn't even asked for help, when Ryan's friend Chris called me from California. He was wondering if we had put a slide show together and if he could help. UHM, YES!!! I told him he was like manna from heaven and an answer to my prayers. I spent 15 minutes sending him the pictures that Kristi {Jen's best friend} had gathered for me and the music and he did the ENTIRE slide show. It was such a huge blessing for me, and I have no idea how I would have done it without his help. Thank you so much Chris!!!
Here is a copy of the program, once again, it turned out beautiful.
Here are the memorial videos that Chris put together, they are perfect. Thank you Chris from the bottom of my heart.
I love you Jen. I can't believe you are gone. I miss your spunk and southern drawl. Until we meet Again!



No comments:
Post a Comment